PrevX is offering a free tool for fixing Black Screen of Death.
The Steps as prevX says to fix this are:
1) Restart your PC
2) Logon and wait for the black screen to appear
3) Make sure your PC should be able to connect to the internet (black screen does not appear to affect this)
4)Press the CTRL, ALT and DEL keys simultaneously
5) When prompted, Click Start Task Manager
6) In Task Manager Click on the Application Tab
7) Next Click New Task
8) Now enter the command:
“C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe” “http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?GRAB=BLACKSCREENFIX”
Note this command assumes that you are using internet explorer as your browser, of not substitute your browser path and file details for thos of iexplore.exe or use the Browser option of Task manager to locate it.
9) Click OK and your browser should start up and begin the download process
10) When prompted for the download Click run, the black screen fix program will download and run to automatically fix the issue.
11) Now restart your PC and the black screen problem will hopefully be gone.
But this will not Fix all kind of Black Screen of Deaths, simply cause there could be a million reasons why it happened. But if it is happened by the latest Windows Update, you can try this tool as most probably this will help you.
And another workaround is:
When the Black Screen of death appears, just hit ctrl+alt+del a few times.
Then you will get the option for taskmanager, take that.
Then goto process tab and find out if explorer.exe is working. If its there right click and click on end process tree.
Then Goto Applications tab, and then select the new process button. In the prompted window just type explorer.exe and press enter.
As I said earlier , The cause of Black Screen of Death can be a million, so this work around also will not work for all types of Black Screen Of Death.